Vivian & Bill’s 1970s Christmas Party! Cast Page
It’s 1978, the height of the disco era, and Vivian and Bill have moved to a new neighborhood where they don’t know anyone but this isn’t stopping them from throwing another Christmas party! Another colorful cast of characters will have some outrageous stories that progress throughout the show intersperesed with performances of Christmas songs. But this year there’s a twist!
We open with everyone on stage as someone from the government comes in to tell them that there is an alien from outer space amongst them. On their look of shock, we cut to black and then flashback an hour as Viv and Bill prepare to welcome their new neighbors. Who is the alien? With an oddball group like this, it could be anyone!
- Vivian Collins – The hostess with the mostest (Treyla Trash)
- Bill Collins – Viv’s adoring husband (Travis Harold Coles)
- Shirley Sanderson – An uptight, prim and proper neighbor (Taylor Mercier)
- Martin Sanderson – Sandy’s equally uptight husband who is ready to break free (Drew Hillis)
- Diane Parrish – Polysester wearing, lounge song loving, man-hungry divorcee (Hannah Dodson)
- Judy Parrish – Diane’s “identical” twin sister that lives with her, but is ready for a change (Gwen Leahy)
- Frank “Boogie Man” Murphy – A disco-obsessed neighbor (Justin P. Kent)
- Kathleen “Dancing Queen” Murphy – Frank’s disco-obsessed wife (Valeria America Lavelle)
- Miss Rhonda – The nosy head of the neighborhood watch (Sallie Just Sallie)
- Phillip Hall – The flamboyant bachelor from down the street (Travis Cheek)
- This is a first draft. It may change as we move forward.
- If you can think of something funnier that what I wrote, please bring it!
- Ad libbing is encouraged.
- There is no such thing as “too big” for this show.
JINGLE BELL BATTLE
Performed by ALL
- Shirley wants to sing a traditional carol and breaks out in the very traditional version of Jingle Bells (version 1)
- Diane hates that, yells at Alexa to stop it (record scratch) and play her jazzy/lounge version (version 2, Natalie Cole)
- Kathleen hates that, record scratch, disco version (version 3, Mistletoe Disco Band)
- Vivian encourages Bill to “do something” and he stops the disco version, record scratch, and mentions how he has really been getting into country music lately (version 4, country-western)
- Phillip wants nothing to do with that, record scratch, EDM version (version 5, basshunter)
- Miss Rhonda says “ho ho no!”, record scratch, hip hop version (version 6, hip hop)
- Martin points out the window and tells Shirley he thinks Jesus has arrived – while she is distracted, he does the very fast Barbra Streisand version (version 7, Barbara)
- Frank pulls the same trick to distract Kathleen only he says he sees The Bee Gees (or similar) and does the metal version (version 8, metal)
- Vivian puts a stop to it and does the Herb Alpert version (version 9, bossa nova)
- Judy is stoned on a pot brownie that Kathleen brought and does a Reggae version (version 10, reggae)
- Kathleen takes over for disco again
- Miss Rhonda takes over for hip hop again
- Martin does Barbra again
- Phillip starts the EDM version
- “Alexa” can’t take it anymore and puts on the barking dogs version
- Vivian stops that and suggests that perhaps the traditional version is the best and everyone finishes singing along
- NOTE: Gaps in bewteen record scratches are for dialogue, improvised
TENTATIVE REHEARSAL AND PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE
|Sunday, Nov 27||3-?||Cast meeting, read through, and too much food, movie, second Thanksgiving||All||Hannah, possibly Val|
|November 28-Dec 3||Varies||1 hour, 1:1 or 1:2 to rehearse solos and duets, to be scheduled based on each person’s availability||All||Val & Justin unavailable 12/2-4|
|Sunday, Dec 4||2-4||Blocking||All||Val, Justin, Taylor|
|Tuesday, Dec 6||7-10pm||
Music – group numbers (small groups, full cast)
Catch up on blocking
|Saturday, Dec 10||2-5pm||Group numbers, run through on book||All||Justin, Daniel, Hannah after 4pm|
|Sunday, Dec 11||1-4pm||Group numbers, run through on book||All||Justin|
|Monday, Dec 12||7-10pm||Individual and group numbers rehearsal on main floor||All but not everyone the whole time||Drew, Hannah|
|Tuesday, Dec 13||7-10pm||Full run through off book with music||All||Drew|
|Wednesday, Dec 14||7-10pm||Tech/Dress||All||Taylor|
|Thursday, Dec 15||6-8pm||Run Through (Tech only, no dress)||All|
|Friday, Dec 16||5-10pm||Call time 5pm; sound check 6pm; doors 6:30pm; show 7:30pm||All|
|Saturday, Dec 17||5-10pm||Call time 5pm; sound check 6pm; doors 6:30pm; show 7:30pm||All|
|Sunday, Dec 18||5-10pm||Call time 5pm; sound check 6pm; doors 6:30pm; show 7:30pm||All|
Each performer is guaranteed a minimum of $50 per performance – $150 total for this show.
Each performer will also receive equal shares in 50% of the net profits.
For illustrative purposes only:
- Gross Profits: $6,500
- Expenses: $3,000
- Net Profits: $3,500
- 50% of Net: $1,750
- 50% of Net Divided 10 Ways: $175
- Total Performer Compensation (Minimum + Participation): $325
Total performer compensation is therefore dependent on ticket sales, but will be a minimum of $150 even if the show loses money.