Murdered by Disco – Farrah Casting
Currently casting for one role in our upcoming show, “Murdered by Disco!”
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Hopefully you’ve seen one of our shows, but here’s what you need to know about us. We do both standard cabaret shows (free on select Tuesday nights), where people sing with a live accompanist, and theatrical cabaret shows (ticketed, 5-6 times per year), with full scripts, characters, sets, costumes, and more that set up cabaret performances (to a pre-recorded track). In both types of shows, we are looking for more than just someone singing – we want people who can perform, bringing the emotion, the character, the song, and the moment to life.
We are proud of the fact that we have a fun and supportive environment and are looking for people who will bring that same spirit to our company. We have a strict no-drama policy.
ABOUT THE SHOW
Characters introduce themselves with monologues/dialogue and a song in the first act, the audience votes online at intermission to choose the killer, the victim, and the method, and we adjust the second act – which features more monologues/dialogues and music – based on the vote.
The show is set on New Year’s Eve, December 31, 1979 at the famed Studio One discotheque in New York City. A Dick Clark style TV host is doing a live broadcast of his New Year’s Eve show from the disco and and a documentary crew is doing a movie about the Disco scene.
NOTE: there will be three shows of this production – Friday, August 25 at 7pm; Saturday, August 26 at 3pm; and Sunday, August 27 at 7pm.
There is nominal pay – $50 per performance – and profit sharing (actors split 50% of net profits).
ABOUT THE SCHEDULE
Performers will have two (2) 1-hour 1:1 rehearsals with the director between July 26 and August 18 that can be scheduled based upon availability of both the performer and director (days, nights, and weekends available).
Full ensemble rehearsal/show schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday, August 8 – 7-10pm (tentative first read through)
- Saturday, August 12 – 2-5pm
- Sunday, August 13 – 2-5pm (tentative)
- Tuesday, August 15 – 7-10pm
- Saturday, August 19 – 2-6pm
- Sunday, August 20 – 2-6pm (no conflicts allowed)
- Monday, August 21 – 7-10pm (no conflicts allowed)
- Tuesday, August 22 – 7-10pm (no conflicts allowed)
- Wednesday, August 23 – 7-10pm (no conflicts allowed)
- Thursday, August 24 – 7-10pm (no conflicts allowed)
- Friday, August 25 – 5pm call for the 7pm show
- Saturday, August 26 – 1pm call for the 3pm show
- Sunday, August 27 – 5pm for the 7pm show
ABOUT THE ROLE
The only time this dancing queen isn’t boogying under the disco ball is when she’s busy gossiping about everyone else around her – and she has LOTS to say.
Age open, strong preference for BIPOC. Must be a strong singer. Dancing ability is a bonus but not required. While the character is gendered female, the role may be played by a drag artist.
Farrah will have two (2) 1-page monologues and a few other lines throughout the show and will be singing the following:
- Don’t Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston (solo)
- Got to be the Best of My Love, a mashup of The Best of My Love by The Emotions and Got to be Real by Cheryl Lynn (solo)
- Village People Megamix (Ensemble)
- Disco Inferno by The Trammps (Ensemble)
- I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor (Ensemble)
- Last Dance by Donna Summer (Ensemble)
- Stayin’ Alive by The Bee Gees (Solo IF the audience votes for Farrah to be the murderer)